Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Musings

This morning I was "driving" into work (I use the term driving loosely here as it was more like sitting in bumper to bumper traffic) when I noticed the car in front of me.  It happened to be an Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight.  For those of you who are not familiar with this type of car, I will show you what I'm talking about:

via here
(Please note, this is not the exact car that I saw, just the model)
Said car was in front me and I noticed it was a particular hideous shade of green.  Like Kelly Green, which is pretty on it's own, but on a car?  No.  Clearly it was not it's natural paint color.  

But what drew me to the car was NOT it's hideous green color.  No.  I could tell that there was something on the trunk.  See the picture above?  See how the trunk is flat?  On the truck there was something attached.  I inched closer and upon further inspection I noticed:

via here

Yes, wooden letters that you would find at a Michael's Craft Store.  These letters were affixed to the trunk of the car with what I can only imagine to be glue.  Inching ever closer I saw that the trunk said:
Do you like my rendition?  It looked just like this only imagine an ugly green background of the trunk of the car.

Which is an Irish saying that means, "Ireland Forever".  Needless to say this car intrigued me and brought on many questions including:

  • Is this car the driver's main  mode of transportation?
  • Is this car only pulled out once a year for St. Patrick's Day?
  • Is St. Patrick's Day really that important to this person that they feel it deserves it's own special car?
  • Where was the person headed?  Work?  A bar?
  • Was there more to the car that I was missing?
This last question was most important.  I wanted to get around the car to get a good look, but I didn't want to give up my lane position in traffic (we were in a lane that was actually moving so to get over would have cost me time and I wouldn't have really been able to see anyway).  Finally, I HAD to get over and I caught the briefest of glimpses of the side.  In my quick glance I believe what I saw was the Irish flag spray painted on the back end of the side of the car.  I don't believe that a car has ever brought me that much entertainment on my way to work.


_____________________________________________________

In other news, what's better than a KENTUCKY win?









A LOUISVILLE loss!
(I'm not sure where this picture came from, but suffice to say, it is not mine, so credit goes to whoever it is!!)

I hope that the team you are rooting for was just as lucky in the first round on this St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...